Vintage Modern CompressorThe VMC-76 is our modern take on a vintage classic - the venerable FET compressor! Instead of reinventing the wheel, our approach was to ambitiously reimagine this iconic design. In a sea of clones, our aim was to bring something truly unique to the table. The only thing better than one FET compressor is two! From a form factor perspective, we have taken what is traditionally a single channel, 2RU beast and halved the size to 1RU whilst doubling the channel count. If that wasn't enough, there are two switchable output stages, each with a different voicing: a modern, transparent solid state output stage and a true (not starved plate!) high voltage, colored tube output stage.
As a dual mono/stereo unit, we have succeeded where traditional FET compressors have failed. The FET compressors of old are notoriously difficult to use in stereo operation due to the dependency on matched FETs across both units/channels. The unmatched FETs across separate units and wide parts tolerances makes traditional stereo operation very problematic. To remedy this, our units feature quad matched FETs which are painstakingly matched by hand. The use of high tolerance components across both channels ensures accurate metering and stereo operation where controls are set identically on both channels.
- Compressor Type: Field-Effect Transistor (FET)
- Channels: Two (2) channel, dual mono
- Rack space: 19” 1RU
- Controls: INPUT, OUTPUT, ATTACK, RELEASE, RATIO (stepped), MIX
- Ratios (5 step rotary switch): 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 12:1, 20:1
- Attack (potentiometer): SLOW - FAST
- Release (potentiometer): SLOW - FAST
- Pushbuttons: TUBE/SS, HPF (@ 100Hz), IN, SLAM, METER
- Inputs & Outputs: Balanced 3 pin XLR with relay bypass
- Output Stages: (Switchable) between solid state electronically balanced output and transformer balanced, tube gain stage using 2 x ECC88 tubes
- THD: 0.5% or better
- Noise Floor: -80dB or better
- Warranty: One Year Warranty